4.12.2013

Plans

So, I've spent the last two and a half years shaking out the details of what I want to do with my life. I want to be a writer, but I don't want an MFA.
So then the question was should I go to college? And what for?

It's really hard to get the money for college. I'm a homeschool graduate. I had to figure out how to get an SAT taken and then a GED and then there was the issue of legal identification, blah blah blah.
After that, there's financial aid and scholarships applications. Then the age old question of transport for a carless, jobless young adult. Who's also the oldest of four kids in a family who live paycheck to paycheck. So I need enough money to live on campus.
And when I missed two scholarship deadlines because our printer/scanner's broken, I realized that this was getting to be way too big of a hassle. I'd rather self-teach myself graphic design and make time for a business course later at this point.

The experience of college isn't worth the debt I'd be piling on myself to make it happen this year. I might try to pursue an illustration degree later, but only when I'm sure it's worth my time and I can get the money. Because right now, my goals mostly involve being a novelist, freelance graphic designer, and illustrator (specifically for comic books).
$40,000+ of debt to get a Bachelor's seems ill-advised, now that I've talked myself into being an artist. My aunt got an art degree that she's never done anything with, so if I'm going to make it happen, maybe that shouldn't be my focus at all.

On a side note, I think I might restructure this blog and start posting again. Mostly for myself.


Ja ne,
SD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say Something :-P